There are plenty of reputable remodeling contractors who will do a great job on your home. Still, scammers are looking to take advantage of unsuspecting homeowners.
Let’s explore some warning signs and tips to avoid scammers.
Some Warning Signs
While a home improvement can increase the value of homes, it makes them more vulnerable to fraud.
Let’s discuss some warning signs that homeowners should be aware of when searching for home improvement services:
- Be cautious with contractors who go door-to-door offering their services.
- If they’re legitimate, they should have no problem providing you with references from previous clients.
- They offer insanely low prices. If the price seems unreal, they are probably scammers.
- They require you to pay upfront. A reputable remodeling contractor will usually request a deposit but should not ask for the full amount before starting the job.
- They don’t have the proper insurance or licensing. This is a significant red flag, as it means they’re not legitimate and could do a poor job (or no job at all).
- You can’t find any information about them online. A simple Google search should turn up reviews, their website, and other information about the business.
Tips to Avoid Scammers
Home improvement scams are becoming more and more common. With the recent increase in home values, many people are looking to do interior custom painting or other remodeling projects to update their home’s value. Scammers know this and pose as legitimate businesses to take advantage of unsuspecting homeowners.
Let’s discover what you can do to avoid being scammed:
- Make sure the contractor is licensed and insured. You can check with your local licensing board to confirm this information.
- Get everything in writing before work begins, including a detailed estimate of the costs. This will help avoid any surprises down the road.
- Pay by check or credit card rather than cash, so you have a paper trail if there are any problems.
- Be cautious of contractors who require a large down payment before starting work.
- Never give out personal information such as your social security number or bank account information without verifying that the company is legitimate.
Home improvement can be a daunting task, but it can be an exciting and rewarding experience with the right team by your side. At K & H Painting and Construction LLC, serving Highland Park, we specialize in making your home improvement dreams a reality. Whether you’re looking for a minor remodeling service or an interior custom painting job, we can do it. Plus, we pride ourselves on providing the most satisfactory customer service possible. When you work with us, you can rest assured that you’re working with a team focused on quality, fairness, honesty, and trustworthiness.